May 26-29, 2022
Join the BLM Black Rock Field Office, Friends of Nevada Wilderness, and Friends of Black Rock-High Rock as we celebrate, explore, and learn together at the annual Black Rock Rendezvous!
We look forward to seeing you out there. Please read the info below to get a better understanding of how things will look this year.
- This year’s Rendezvous will once again include group camping and some pot-luck-style meals!
- Please keep our community safe and don’t participate if you are experiencing any COVID symptoms, have tested positive, or have recently been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID.
- Participants are responsible for getting themselves to and from event sites.
- Participants are expected to bring all the water, food, and personal supplies they will need to be self-sufficient.
- There will be no Kids Camp in 2023. Families are still encouraged to attend the event, but we will not have an official, separate camp for children.
- Registration is required. It really helps us plan a great event if we know how many folks are attending!
- The Black Rock Rendezvous is a family-friendly event focused on conservation, learning, and enjoying the beauty and serenity of the Black Rock Desert.
- No loudspeakers or amplified music that goes beyond your general camping area, nothing with fire or explosions (besides a safe burn barrel), and there is no need to bring out your art car or art piece
- There is a 10 pm quiet time and the expectation of relative quiet the rest of the time.
- Participation is expected – those attending the Rendezvous should be participating in the talks, tours, and projects…not just the meals
Please register with one of the two partner groups below. Pre-registration helps us plan accordingly for tours, hikes, and volunteer projects.
(A more Detailed Schedule will be sent out in May to those who have registered)
|Friday, May 26||Arrive in the afternoon, set up camp|
|Saturday, May 27||Morning: Welcome, short presentations |
Afternoon: Tours, hikes, lectures
Kidz Zone – All Day
Dutch Oven Cook-Off
|Sunday, May 28||Group Volunteer Projects|
Tours, Group Hikes
|Monday, May 29||Pack up camp and head home!|
Recordings from the 2020 Virtual Black Rock Rendezvous
Welcome and Introductions
Meet the organizations hosting the Black Rock Rendezvous 2020, learn about the first “virtual” Rendezvous, ask questions, and say hello!
Batty about Bats!
Join scientist and author, Rachael Freeman Long, for a conversation about Bats of the Black Rock Desert. Afterward, she’ll be doing a reading from her children’s book “The Black Rock Trilogy: Gold Fever.”
Children’s Learning and Playtime!
Join the outdoor educators from Nevada Outdoor School and songwriter Elizabeth Cadigan for songs, videos, and arts & crafts!
Bighorn Sheep Return to Tribal Land
The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe successfully reintroduced California bighorn sheep to the Lake Range January 2020.
Backyard Birds with Great Basin Bird Observatory
We will be discussing backyard birds including common species, essential birding resources and materials, and natural history! We will also discuss natural history focusing on breeding bird behavior.
Astronomy Night! with the Fleischmann Planetarium
Cook up a comet — and explore how to see an actual one this month! — as well as other cool night sky objects — with team members from the Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center!
Billion Year History of the Black Rock Desert
Cathy Busby is Professor of Geology Emerita and Research Scientist at UC Davis. Tune in for her quick tour of the geology of the Black Rock Desert!
Fly Ranch Nature Walk
Dr. Lisa Schile-Beers, and Erika Wesnousky, lead a virtual tour around Fly Ranch, exploring the stunning 3,800 acre property and give participants a virtual experience with the vast and dynamic environment.
The mention of company names, trade names, or commercial products does not constitute endorsement or recommendation for use by the federal government.